The Best Things in Life by Suraya
Syazwani Bt Mohamad Yusof
What
are the best things in life? Well, for one, simply getting a smile from a loved
one could mean the world to him while to others, attaining an insurmountable
amount of wealth or surviving a near-death situation does tantamount to life’s
best things. Too often a time when something regarded as ordinary to many is
taken as a God-sent to some. I have seen how a meager pack of rice could light
up one’s world when life was unbearably hard and going through the day without
a decent meal was nothing new. For a person living the life of a destitute where
his days reek of uncertainties, that scanty pack of sustenance was probably his
life’s best thing. But for many, being loved, cared for and protected plus
being able to lead a life full of happiness, joy and contentment certainly account
for life’s best offers. In a nutshell, they come in a multitude of forms of varying
nature and intensity.
Nevertheless,
on many occasions, what we regard as life’s best things greatly depends on how
we perceive them. For instance, a blind man receiving a gift of roses will appreciate
the pleasant smell they emit and perhaps feel enlightened by his wondrous
journey of imagining the possible riot of colours while another blind man might
treat the gift as meaningless and disparaging. Time and again, we have seen
that wealth does not always bring happiness and joy. It might even spell doom
if it brings more harm than good. A mere peasant with little to spare might
lead a much happier life than a man of greater wealth and standing as monetary
prosperity does not always guarantee perpetual happiness while inner contentment
does. So, one’s perception of life’s best things really depends on the individual’s
unique interpretation and reception.
For
me, life’s best things pertain to almost every facet of my life for which I am truly
grateful. For a start, I am blessed with a loving and supportive family and relatives;
neighbours that I care about and friends with whom we pledge our eternal
friendship. These, I consider as my life’s best happenings and never in a
million years would I trade them with anything else for I value this gift of love
and devotion that surrounds me. Although my parents especially my doting father
sometimes does get carried away by pampering us with worldly things we fancy,
we never let our guard down especially when it comes to being conceited or
condescending. But sadly, not every child in this world is fortunate enough to get
his or her much deserving affection, what more care and protection from their supposedly
loved ones?
I
practically watch myself grow from year to year; leaving one phase and moving
on to another, at least where values, hopes and aspirations are concerned. To
me, life should not be looked at as a destiny beyond change. It does not have
to be mundane, empty and worthless, as some might feel. In fact, it could as well be the
opposite. We could gear to make things happen and God willing they will. The
bottomline is how much goodness you want to reap from them. Some time back I
saw an old lady about to cross a street. Doddering through the busy area, she
looked a little helpless due to her frailness and old age. Normally I would
just sit back and watch but this time I was somewhat compelled to get up and
offer a helping hand. I finally helped her cross the street and in return she
thanked me profusely. What I didn’t expect was the feeling of sheer contentment
that overwhelmed me for the next few weeks! I never knew that one simple action
could bring such an enormous impact on me. Perhaps it was because I have never
done anything like this for a total stranger before and I was grateful that I
did. I was literally bidding adieu to my former self and forging ahead with
earnestness. Undoubtedly, it was one of my best days.
Like
everyone else, I have an aspiration of my own and after some soul-searching I
realize that my interest lies greatly in the field of medicine. From young I have
always been fascinated with the medical fraternity and how they toil and strive
to serve the community. I often read and see documentaries about their enormous
contribution to societies so much so that I want to emulate them. I realize this
would not be a walk in the park, and I need to commit my heart and soul to my
studies and everything else that matters. Otherwise my life-long dream would
just dissipate into thin air.
I
was leaping with joy the other day when I had had the rare opportunity of meeting
2007 Nobel Laureate in Medicine, Professor Sir Martin Evans who was in Malaysia recently
on a special invitation by the country’s renowned think-tanks and academicians.
I felt so lucky having been selected to represent my college, along with
thirteen others. I managed to get his autograph which made me beaming with joy
the whole day. The whole experience of meeting him in person and hearing him
talk on the selected subjects were awe-inspiring and I felt all the more
intrigued by the profession and its noble cause. God willing, when the day
comes when I finally attain my scroll, it will be my all-time life’s best thing.
I fervently hope that I will be able to serve the community well afterwards
while upholding the principles and values that I have been taught to live by.
Seeing
the atrocities afflicted to people everywhere, my ardent hope is also to see that
world peace prevails so that there will be no more gory pictures about horrid
war aftermaths that usually involve scores of innocent children and senior
citizens as casualties. Sadly, in the midst of these warring factions, our one
and only Earth becomes a victim too as if pollution of various kinds alone is
not enough to ravage this planet we so-called love. I am sure that peace,
harmony and unity will account for everyone’s best thing in life as it would
benefit the whole of mankind and Mother Nature too. After all, ours is probably
the only breed that is in existence in this universe. Once peace is attained, subsequently
everything else like economic stability, well-being and integration, to name
just a few, will follow suit. Every citizen shall have access to proper
upbringing and education, healthcare and livelihood regardless of race,
religion and colour of the skin. However should this mission fail and we
continue to fight among ourselves and while doing so imparting substantial
injustice to Mother Earth, mankind shall risk facing oblivion one day. This
will in turn be the worst thing of our lives, ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment